Knowing what came before will help you plan for the future! Find out if there is a history of organizing around the property you are interested in. What happened then and who was involved?
- Google it!
- Look at past DEED transactions in ACRIS.
- Your neighborhood may have a local paper or outlet with information about issues related to public assets and access. E.g. the Red Hook Star-Revue, SILive.com or Town and Village.
- City Limits covers NYC news by topic and has a Citizen’s Toolkit to help residents shape the City’s future.
- Gotham Gazette is a watchdog publication covering news at both the city and state levels, as does City & State.
- Crain’s New York, YIMBY, Curbed and Brownstoner (Brooklyn specific) cover real estate and are good sources to find out about developments, long-term residents and neighborhood associations
- Most important: talk to the neighbor who seems to know “everything”